|Items available from amazon.co.uk|
[Show more items from amazon.co.uk]
|Get Marx Brothers books for your Kindle|
|View other countries: USA UK Deutschland France España Italia Canada Japan — view all countries|
- The Marx Brothers on Broadway: 1924-1929, An Illustrated lecture by Noah Diamond
Wednesday, November 30th, 7pm at the Morbid Anatomy Museum, 424 Third Avenue, 11215 Brooklyn NY
"A hilarious and informative multimedia presentation, with Marxiana you won't find anywhere else, Very Special Guests, and, of course, 'The Monkey Doodle Doo'."
Click here for more information
- Freedonia Marxonia 2016In October Freedonia Marxonia will be held in Fredonia, NY, with events at the State University of New York at Fredonia and the 1891 Fredonia Opera House. The main activities will be October 6 and 7, with an exhibit up through Oct. 23.
The event will celebrate the connection between Fredonia and Freedonia, and introduce students to the Marx Brothers.
- Thursday, Oct. 6
- 3:00 pm, Reed Library, The State University of New York at Fredonia: Exhibit opening and welcoming remarks. The theme of the exhibit is "Creative Contemporaries of the Marx Brothers." Singing of "Hail Freedonia" from Duck Soup by members of Fredonia's Student Opera Theatre Association and Fredonia's student chapter of the American Choral Directors Association. Cake in belated honor of Groucho's birthday. Annual group photo with complimentary Groucho glasses
- 7:00 pm, McEwen Hall, G24: Screening of Animal Crackers
- Friday, Oct. 7
- 12:00 noon, Garden at Reed Library: "A Career as a Playwright," Tom Dudzick, Class of 1973, will talk about his experience at Fredonia, career as a playwright, and passion for the Marx Brothers. This is a Convocation 2016-17 and "Lunch with The New York Times" event. Mr. Dudzick's presentation is supported by the Fredonia Convocation Committee, Fredonia College Foundation's Carnahan-Jackson Humanities Fund, and Reed Library.
- 7:30 pm 1891 Fredonia Opera House, 9 Church St., Fredonia: Screening of Duck Soup
- Freedonia Marxonia exhibit runs through October 23. (Please note that the library is closed October 15 and 16 for fall break, with reduced hours October 13 and 14.)
- Freedonia Marxonia Art Contest: All ages and skill levels welcome to participate. Use any medium. Submissions due September 30. First prize - $75, second prize - $50, third prize - $25. Submit entries to Cindy Yochym in Reed Library
Freedonia Marxonia is supported by the Hahn Family Freedonia Marxonia Fund of the Fredonia College Foundation
Everyone Welcome: All activities are free and open to the public!
- Thursday, Oct. 6
- "An Evening with Groucho" comes to Australia (again)Frank Ferrante will return to Australia for a 35 city tour of "An Evening With Groucho" from September 30th, 2016 to November 26th. The tour will cover much of the country including New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Victoria with stops in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane Click here for more information.
- "An Evening with Groucho" - tour dates
Frank Ferrante is touring with his show "An Evening with Groucho".
Click here for his current tour dates.
- Marx Brothers on TV & RadioTimes given are local time. 24 hour format is used.
Recent publications Books / Audio / Video
Bader, Robert S.: Four of the Three Musketeers - The Marx Brothers on Stage
From the publisher: "Before film made them international comedy legends, the Marx Brothers developed their comic skills on stage for twenty-five years. In Four of the Three Musketeers: The Marx Brothers on Stage, Robert S. Bader offers the first comprehensive history of the foursome's hardscrabble early years honing their act in front of live audiences.
From Groucho's debut in 1905 to their final live performances of scenes from A Night in Casablanca in 1945, the brothers' stage career shows how their characters and routines evolved before their arrival in Hollywood. Four of the Three Musketeers draws on an unmatched array of sources, many not referenced elsewhere. Bader's detailed portrait of the struggling young actors both brings to vivid life a typical night on the road for the Marx Brothers and also illuminates the inner workings of the vaudeville business, especially during its peak in the 1920s.
As Bader traces the origins of the characters that would later come to be beloved by filmgoers, he also skillfully scrapes away the accretion of rumors and mythology perpetuated not only by fans and writers but by the Marx Brothers themselves. Revealing, vital, and entertaining, Four of the Three Musketeers will take its place as an essential reference for this iconic American act."
Coniam, Matthew: That's Me, Groucho!
The Solo Career of Groucho Marx
Diamond, Noah: Gimme a Thrill
The Story of "I'll Say She Is", the lost Marx Brothers musical, and how it was found
Siegel, Lee: Groucho Marx - The Comedy of Existence
From the publisher's website: "The first critical biography of Groucho Marx to approach his work analytically, this fascinating study draws unique connections between Groucho's comedy and his life, concentrating primarily on the brothers' classic films as a means of understanding and appreciating Julius the man."
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection ( Box Set, Paramount )
includes "The Cocoanuts", "Animal Crackers" (+theatrical trailer), "Horse Feathers" (+theatrical trailer), "Monkey Business" and "Duck Soup" (+theatrical trailer)
All have English Dolby Digital 2.0 audio and all except Cocoanuts also have Spanish audio. All are subtitled in English, French and Spanish
An extra disc of bonus material has:
- Today Show Interview with Harpo Marx (1961)
- Today Show Interview with Groucho Marx (1963)
- Today Show Interview with William Marx, Harpo's son (1985)
Some columnist and some people on amazon have stated that these movies have been "censored". This is not true, they are the same as the versions previously available on video and DVD.